I have two kids, a third-grader and a Kindergartener, and we have been enrolled at our public school’s virtual learning program since the beginning of school.
How am I doing virtual learning with two kids in different grades? Here are my confessions:
- I used to teach, and I am winging this.
- We sleep in! If no one has an early meeting, there is no rush in the mornings. We generally start school at around 10 am.
- We do school in our pajamas.
- We do not take daily showers.
- We have long lunches.
- Now and then, we will do some of the next day’s work, so we don’t have a lot to do on Fridays.
- I check my third grader’s work to make sure that everything is turned in, but I miss things at times.
- Sometimes we research things further because we are so interested.
- We have days where we are not feeling school. We might start later on those days or do the bare minimum.
- We usually finish school at around 3 pm or 4 pm.
- I don’t bug the kids after school about chores or reading or whatever. We all need a break and time to veg out.
- Last week we took a field trip and looked at art, walked in the fresh air, and had a blast together all morning and afternoon.
- Our favorite treat is drinks and popcorn from The Soda Shack.
- Sometimes we have to be in separate rooms to get anything done.
- My Kindergartener is in the early stages of putting sounds together to form words and start reading. How incredible it is to watch.
Are you a virtual learning family? What are your confessions?